10 Reasons to Attend a State College
Learn more about all of the opportunities available after high school.
When you hear the word “college,” what comes to mind? Do you think of the big state universities that are often featured on TV and in the movies? You know, the ones where students live on campus, attend classes in giant lecture halls, and participate in a zillion clubs and activities?
Sure, some students have experiences like that. But it’s not the only way to do college.
You have TONS of options when it comes to your post-high school education. In addition to Florida’s 12 public universities (more about those later), there are also 28 state colleges offering certificate, associate and bachelor’s degree programs in everything from business to marketing, aviation to nursing.
Here are 10 reasons why a state college might be the best option for you.
1) Easy to apply. Some require only a high school diploma or GED.
2) They’re usually cheaper. Depending on the school, you can save up to 50% per credit hour compared to a state university.
3) Financial aid is offered by many state colleges.
4) You can start taking college classes NOW FOR FREE through your high school’s dual enrollment program.
5) Many state colleges offer smaller class sizes, meaning you get more personalized attention from your teachers.
6) The smaller campuses and classes may make it easier to meet new people than at a larger university.
7) You can go at your own pace, taking only as many classes as your schedule allows. It’s a great option for students who work or have other responsibilities besides their schooling.
8) You can also speed up your degree by enrolling in a two-year associate degree program.
9) Many state colleges partner with state universities, allowing you to transfer the credits you earned to one of the university’s bachelor’s degree programs.
10) Many state colleges also offer clubs, student groups and amenities like what you see on TV shows and the movies.
More Ways to Do College